Friday 24 December 2010

Christmas Eve


It is Christmas Eve and I'm trying to remember when I completely lost my Christmas spirit. I have none this year as flu is raging through my body. I've been in bed all week and aside from the odd "Delia Christmas Special", I have not been able to muster up even an ounce (I still work in old money) of Christmas spirit, although I will say that last night the sherry helped.

When I was very small, my brother and I used to test Santa Clause every year. We’d leave notes that said “if you are real tick here” and sprinkle talcum powder on the dark carpet in the hallway much to Mum’s chagrin.

I liked those times and I miss that innocence.

This year we have our entire family coming round to our house and I am reminded of my childhood and Christmas at Nana and Grandpa’s. There was always great food, a big spread with a bit brought round by everyone. There were jokes I was too young to understand (I particularly remember Grandpa inexplicably with knickers on his head). There was total happiness and joy throughout. Nobody was depressed, nobody was sad. Even the Christmas just before Grandpa’s death when he spent the entire day in bed the house was full of laughter. By then they had moved into the bungalow and the kitchen was smaller and didn’t smell like Nana’s house.

This year, I suspect will be a really big one – everyone’s coming round, all the Aunties and Uncles, even Nana’s making the trip (it’s only 5 minutes in the car, but she’s 86 and quite frail. The big shop has been completed and the Ham has been baked and I am banned from the kitchen, lest I spread my lurgy. I may even be banished to my bedroom tomorrow. The last time I was ill, Grandma caught it and ended up in hospital!

I hope you have a lovely Christmas and get to spend it with those you love. I myself will most probably be holding court in my bedroom and requesting glasses of red wine and plates of food be brought to me like a modern day King Henry VIII! 

Happy Holidays and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloody Fraud

I’ve just learned about Elizabeth Holmes, former CEO of defunct medical equipment company Theranos (so close to Thanos that I actually wro...