Monday 24 January 2011

The Gay Agenda?

Today’s Daily Mail includes a headline about the so called Gay Agenda… Sorry? I thought that the only Gay Agenda called for nothing more than equality! The government are moving towards including more LGBT examples in education, from reading books such as “And Tango Makes Three” to comprehension exercises which include Gavin and Dave instead of Gavin and Diane!

I seem to remember something similar in my own schooling history. All of a sudden more ethnic names appeared in my text books, and worked as a mechanism for increasing equality.

Reading the Daily Mail, you might imagine that the government are proposing erotic gay literature for every classroom! Perhaps they fear we will recruit kids, maybe they’re worried they will ‘catch gay’! Gay indoctrination doesn’t exist. You cannot force anybody to be gay anymore than you can force them to turn pink with green hair. My childhood had a much more terrifying sort of indoctrination – RELIGION. I must at this point note that I am a Christian.

I’m not sure how it is today, but twenty years ago when I was at Primary school we would begin the day with a ritual chant – “Our Father, Who Art in Heaven”, and though it is ten years since I left school, I can still recite the whole prayer. Next we’d sing some hymns and go off to our Religious Education lesson. Later on we’d have lunch and say grace before we ate a bite. I was scared that if I didn’t behave well I would go to hell! This later led to internalized homophobia. Coming out as gay aged 17 was a struggle and I lost my faith because I believed that God wouldn’t want me as I am, but that’s an argument for tomorrow!

We have of course come so far in our struggle. Again, twenty years ago when I was having my first flutters of attraction and not knowing what they were, teachers at school were bound and gagged, unable to support or nurture potential LGBT students under Section 28, and for that reason, I didn’t hear the words gay or lesbian until they were banded around hurtfully at secondary school.

Craig Whittaker MP has been recorded saying “This is not about being homophobic, because there are other schemes around the education which support the LGBT agenda.” Now doesn’t that sound awfully sinister?

1 comment:

  1. We still have such a long way to go don't we. Enjoyed reading. xx PJ (PTT)

    ReplyDelete

Bloody Fraud

I’ve just learned about Elizabeth Holmes, former CEO of defunct medical equipment company Theranos (so close to Thanos that I actually wro...